It Came From ReverbNation #21 - featuring The Koozies, Talk Like June, TERRA Inc, David Geftakys, Soulajar, and J Crist

From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

The Koozies – I do like surprises waveriders.  The photo of the four men comprising this band out of Eugene, OR has each member wearing cowboy hats.  Did I expect to hear a ska/punk song?  Never in a million years!  Top that off with the submission being great and this is a most pleasant surprise.  A second song was completely different and strongly reminded me of ‘The Devil Went Down To Georgia’.  This band bills itself as alternative/cowpunk/psychedelic.  Sounds right to me!  Really, really interesting stuff waveriders.  Check them out!

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/thekoozies 


Talk Like June – This five member group out of Escondido, CA certainly brings the rock in their country music.  The vocals really sell the country angle and are one of the best aspects of their song submission.  Then again, the song was really strong all around and very enjoyable so I feel like I’m doing it a slight disservice by focusing on only one thing.  Great stuff if you like your country with a heaping helping of rock thrown in.  Similar artists include Miranda Lambert, The Band Perry, and Gretchen Wilson.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/talklikejune
Song Sample – “Reckoning”


TERRA Inc. – I’m not a betting man, but if I were I’d wager that it’s been awhile since you heard a solid hard rock band out of Russia.  Well if you’re a fan of more mainstream sounding hard rock than you need to get acquainted with this four piece from Moscow.  Their bio states that they sound like Audioslave, Metallica, and Korn but I don’t really hear that.  I will say that their submission reminded me of the song ‘Gunman’ by Them Crooked Vultures.  Bottom line, it sounded good.  Take a listen.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/terrainc
Song Sample – “Explode Now”


David Geftakys – This young man from Sherman Oaks, CA along with the three other musicians that make up his band would like to cordially invite you to enjoy their brand of pop rock/alternative music.  Their song submission impressed me with nice uplifting musical elements and sincere vocal harmonies which are very well done.  Similar artists include Coldplay, Goo Goo Dolls, and John Mayer.  Looking for something serene?  Look no further.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/davidgeftakys
Song Sample – “Games We Play”


Soulajar – Alright, now this four piece band from Bakersfield, CA really threw me a curve ball.  How so you ask?  The first song I listened to (aka their song submission) is a nicely done, southern-fried alternative country song.  At least that’s where I would file it.  The second song I listened to however could very easily take up space on a classic Chicago album.  Funky groove with a full horn section!  Oh, and it was a solid tune too!  Basically these guys like to change it up, and I like what I hear.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/soulajar
Song Sample – “Drive”


J Crist – What do I have to say about this man from Stockholm, SE and his music?  It’s sneaky good indie rock.  Yes, that’s right.  Sneaky good.  When his submission first began to play I was lulled into thinking that the song was rather plain.  Ah well, I’m used to being wrong.  A minute and a half in the song held my complete attention and I quickly played another when it finished.  Similar artists include The Beatles, XTC, and Oasis.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/jcrist
Song Sample – “Lazy”


--Penfold

Comments