True North - We Speak In Code


Well, well.  What do we have here?  Could it be a fantastic bargain bin discovery?  Why yes!  Yes it is!  Waveriders I cannot tell you what convinced me to take a chance on the album We Speak In Code from the band True North.  Perhaps it was the rather stark album cover?  Maybe I was amused by the fact there is a drawing of a toilet on the top of the CD?  It's possible that the pictures of decay inside the booklet hinted at the nature of the music on offer.  I don't know, but I can tell you that I am thrilled this album is now in my possession!

We Speak In Code belongs in your music collection if you meet the following criteria.  First and foremost if you are a fan of aggressive post-hardcore music this is right up your alley.  Second if you listen to the first Fugazi album and think to yourself, "You know...I could do with a little more noise in this band's musical approach" then believe me True North is going to cause your lid to flip!  Third, if you want to hear a twenty five minute album blast past your eardrums at excessive speed leaving you with no choice but to hit play again this is your ticket! 

Look, I get it.  You're upset there is not more musical goodness to go around.  I'm right there with you on this point!  When I hear a song like "Part Deux" or "Wait Wait" a great big smile creeps across my face.  I like smiling!  What I don't appreciate is when that smile goes away thanks to the disappearance of those wonderfully discordant guitar riffs and that bludgeoning rhythm section before I want them to vanish.  It's upsetting.

So let's recap waveriders.  If you own more than one album put out by Dischord Records and you need to listen to some tunes with enough energy to power a small township then We Speak In Code from True North is your ticket to good times!  This is a terrific, vibrant, caustic record that does not deserve to be relegated to a bargain bin.  You know what to do friends.  Find a copy for yourself today!

- Penfold

Comments