DJ Criminal - Samples And Marbles



Let's talk about something unexpected waveriders.  I'm talking about stumbling across an album or a piece of music which has a description that defies what your mind says is logical.  You read said description and say to yourself, "there's no way that sounds good".  Then you click the play button and lo and behold, your ears are well pleased with what they're hearing.  Enter DJ Criminal and the recently released Samples And Marbles.

While visiting the website of one of my favorite emcees the other day I noticed a news post promoting his appearance on someone else's album.  Since I listen to anything I can get my hands on featuring this man's rhymes I clicked on the link and investigated.  What I discovered was the bandcamp page for the aforementioned Samples and Marbles.  Before hitting the play button however, I read the brief description of the album underneath the track list and stopped short.  Here is what it says: "A FREE hip-hop and turntablism album made entirely from samples of the band Phish, featuring Gift of Gab, Kool Keith, Blueprint, Illogic and more."

Okay look, I am a huge fan of Gift of Gab, Blueprint, and Illogic.  I am also a fan of some of Kool Keith's output.  Hip-hop is a genre of music I am very fond of and I certainly appreciate quality turntablism.  The album being "FREE" doesn't hurt either.  Phish samples though?  Phish?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not railing against the band.  I own a couple of Phish and Trey Anastasio albums and I like them.  My writings for this site prove that I keep an open mind regarding new musical experiences, but even I have to admit that this one seemed to be quite the stretch.  Good thing I fought my dismissive instincts and hit the play button!

Samples And Marbles is downright groovy waveriders!  I suppose that makes sense based off the jam band dna baked into this music at the genetic level, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless.  The bottom line folks is that thanks to the unbeatably low price there is no reason why you should not check out, enjoy, and download this marvelous little gem.  Thanks DJ Criminal!  I apologize for doubting you.

-Penfold

Comments

DJ Criminal said…
Thanks for listening homie. Glad you enjoyed what ya heard. And cheers for the write up!